Arguably the prettiest town in Holland, with its tranquil canals lined with linden trees and backed by gabled cottages, Delft make the ideal day trip from Amsterdam. Visiting Delft from Amsterdam takes around an hour by train.
Amsterdam may be a compact city but it certainly packs a punch with sightseers. Here are my suggestions for ten ways to make the most of your time in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam’s favorite city park stretches over 47 hectares and is the site of several restaurants and cafés as well as an open-air theater and plenty of manicured green space, pathways that are largely the preserve of cyclists and inline-skaters, and nature reserves where birds breed safely away from the public eye. And now Amsterdam is celebrating the 150-year anniversary of the founding of the park with the opening of Tulip Island in the Vondelpark.
With Amsterdam being one of the flattest capital cities in Europe, it is small wonder that its residents have taken to cycling with such a vengeance. Indeed there are supposedly 600,000 cycles in the city of 780,000 people, with an estimated 100,000 being stolen and 25,000 ending up in the canals each year. There are more than 180 cycling routes in Amsterdam that allow sightseers to see the attractions of the city.
By the mid 17th century, Amsterdam was a victim of its own success; a hugely wealthy city that had grown rich on overseas trade; immigrants pored in from all over the Dutch empire and it became imperative to expand the city outwards to help halt disease and overcrowding. The making of Amsterdam’s Canal Ring shaped the city that we see today.
Following a two year major renovation and expansion, the Mauritshuis has re-opened its doors in The Hague. Home to one of the best collections of Dutch and Flemish paintings in the world, ‘the jewel box’ as it is often called, is living up to its nickname. The classical, old space is back with a modern flair, and one of the best things about it is that you don’t have to be a hardcore art enthusiast to appreciate it. Even casual visitors will find it easy to feel comfortable and enjoy.
Considering the exquisite elegance of the row houses along the banks, especially at sunset, there’s ample reason to disembark on Amsterdam Canals Cruise with Dinner Cooked On Board.
A four-month program of open-air festivities has kicked off once again in Amsterdam’s Vondelpark Open Air Theatre, with jam-packed schedule of comedy, children’s theater, dance, rock concerts and cabaret – and amazingly it’s all free.
- The Insider’s Guide to Amsterdam May 10, 2012
- Everything You Want to Know About Amsterdam Coffeeshops August 1, 2013
- Amsterdam by Bike April 8, 2011
- Spring Trip to Keukenhof Gardens February 27, 2011
- Top 5 Places to Stay in Amsterdam February 16, 2012
- Visiting Delft from Amsterdam August 21, 2014
- Ten Ways to Make the Most of Your Time in Amsterdam August 14, 2014
- Tulip Island in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam August 8, 2014
- Cycling Routes in Amsterdam August 7, 2014
- Visiting Traditional Holland from Amsterdam July 31, 2014
- Sasha Heseltine: Thanks - great place isn't it?...
- Brendan Walsh: Ms Heseltine, you make me want to so go back again...
- Verlie Goodenberger: what's up! I just want to give a huge thumbs up fo...
- Amish Shed: Appreciate it for this post, I am a big big fan of...
- Shahbaz Ahmed: Nice goooooooooooood...
Amsterdam Things to Do Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.