With Amsterdam being one of the flattest capital cities in Europe, it is small wonder that its residents have taken to cycling with such a vengeance. Indeed there are supposedly 600,000 cycles in the city of 780,000 people, with an estimated 100,000 being stolen and 25,000 ending up in the canals each year. There are more than 180 cycling routes in Amsterdam that allow sightseers to see the attractions of the city.
Category: Free Things To Do
June 5, 2014
A four-month program of open-air festivities has kicked off once again in Amsterdam’s Vondelpark Open Air Theatre, with jam-packed schedule of comedy, children’s theater, dance, rock concerts and cabaret – and amazingly it’s all free.
May 28, 2014
If you’re visiting the city between June and September, then chances are you will get sucked into attending at least one performance during at least one Amsterdam Summer Festivals.
May 22, 2014
For a city that is, well, flat, visitors have to actively seek out viewing points. But Amsterdam does have plenty of viewing points, if you know where to look. Here’s five of the best views in Amsterdam.
May 15, 2014
As one of the most important artists in Western culture, Rembrandt van Rijn is one of the few known by his first name alone. Much of his story was lived out in Amsterdam and he moved around the city as his fortunes ebbed and flowed; the fortunes of Rembrandt in Amsterdam were very mixed.
May 8, 2014
Amsterdam is not a huge city, and its central district, where most of the tourist areas lie, can be walked fairly easily. However, it is a city very diverse in mood and style, changing in feel from one street to another. Here’s a guide to understanding the ten districts of Amsterdam.
April 24, 2014
Amsterdam’s history is inextricably linked to the sea but for many years the city simply disregarded the dilapidated, deserted docklands north of the IJ. Nowadays all has changed and Amsterdam harbor is once more a place of great activity and innovation.
April 10, 2014
Amsterdam may not have the panache of a Paris or a Milan in the shopping stakes but it does have some cool enclaves of design, funky markets, and famous department stores. Here’s a guide to Amsterdam’s best shopping spots.
March 13, 2014
Spring is upon us and Amsterdam is due to burst into bud any minute; the parks will explode into bloom and trees blossom along the canals. Tulipmania is almost upon the city once more as the flower tourists arrive from across the world in their thousands to see spring flowers near Amsterdam. For the back story on the tulip madness that almost scuppered the country in 1637, visit the Amsterdam Tulip Museum; read on for where to see spring flowers near Amsterdam.
January 20, 2014
Stuck for something special to do on Valentine’s Day? Although Paris is always tagged as the city of lovers in Europe, you’ll still hit the jackpot by booking surprise tickets to romantic Amsterdam to treat your loved one to a weekend of pampering – it’s no longer the city of drunken stag parties and sshhh! It’s far better value than Paris!
- The Insider’s Guide to Amsterdam May 10, 2012
- Everything You Want to Know About Amsterdam Coffeeshops August 1, 2013
- Amsterdam by Bike April 8, 2011
- Spring Trip to Keukenhof Gardens February 27, 2011
- Top 5 Places to Stay in Amsterdam February 16, 2012
- Visiting Delft from Amsterdam August 21, 2014
- Ten Ways to Make the Most of Your Time in Amsterdam August 14, 2014
- Tulip Island in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam August 8, 2014
- Cycling Routes in Amsterdam August 7, 2014
- Visiting Traditional Holland from Amsterdam July 31, 2014
- Sasha Heseltine: Thanks - great place isn't it?...
- Brendan Walsh: Ms Heseltine, you make me want to so go back again...
- Verlie Goodenberger: what's up! I just want to give a huge thumbs up fo...
- Amish Shed: Appreciate it for this post, I am a big big fan of...
- Shahbaz Ahmed: Nice goooooooooooood...
Amsterdam Things to Do Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.