Arguably the prettiest town in Holland, with its tranquil canals lined with linden trees and backed by gabled cottages, Delft make the ideal day trip from Amsterdam. Visiting Delft from Amsterdam takes around an hour by train.
August 14, 2014
Amsterdam may be a compact city but it certainly packs a punch with sightseers. Here are my suggestions for ten ways to make the most of your time in Amsterdam.
August 8, 2014
Amsterdam’s favorite city park stretches over 47 hectares and is the site of several restaurants and cafés as well as an open-air theater and plenty of manicured green space, pathways that are largely the preserve of cyclists and inline-skaters, and nature reserves where birds breed safely away from the public eye. And now Amsterdam is celebrating the 150-year anniversary of the founding of the park with the opening of Tulip Island in the Vondelpark.
July 31, 2014
The Holland of windmills, clogs, cheese, and tulips is alive and well, and within easy reach of Amsterdam. Take a trip back in time to enjoy visiting Traditional Holland from Amsterdam.
July 17, 2014
By the mid 17th century, Amsterdam was a victim of its own success; a hugely wealthy city that had grown rich on overseas trade; immigrants pored in from all over the Dutch empire and it became imperative to expand the city outwards to help halt disease and overcrowding. The making of Amsterdam’s Canal Ring shaped the city that we see today.
July 10, 2014
Following a two year major renovation and expansion, the Mauritshuis has re-opened its doors in The Hague. Home to one of the best collections of Dutch and Flemish paintings in the world, ‘the jewel box’ as it is often called, is living up to its nickname. The classical, old space is back with a modern flair, and one of the best things about it is that you don’t have to be a hardcore art enthusiast to appreciate it. Even casual visitors will find it easy to feel comfortable and enjoy.
June 16, 2014
Visitors seeking to tap into the pedal-driven flow of Amsterdam need to saddle up at least once.
May 22, 2014
For a city that is, well, flat, visitors have to actively seek out viewing points. But Amsterdam does have plenty of viewing points, if you know where to look. Here’s five of the best views in Amsterdam.
May 15, 2014
As one of the most important artists in Western culture, Rembrandt van Rijn is one of the few known by his first name alone. Much of his story was lived out in Amsterdam and he moved around the city as his fortunes ebbed and flowed; the fortunes of Rembrandt in Amsterdam were very mixed.
May 8, 2014
Amsterdam is not a huge city, and its central district, where most of the tourist areas lie, can be walked fairly easily. However, it is a city very diverse in mood and style, changing in feel from one street to another. Here’s a guide to understanding the ten districts of Amsterdam.
- The Insider’s Guide to Amsterdam May 10, 2012
- Everything You Want to Know About Amsterdam Coffeeshops August 1, 2013
- Amsterdam by Bike April 8, 2011
- Spring Trip to Keukenhof Gardens February 27, 2011
- Top 5 Places to Stay in Amsterdam February 16, 2012
- Visiting Delft from Amsterdam August 21, 2014
- Ten Ways to Make the Most of Your Time in Amsterdam August 14, 2014
- Tulip Island in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam August 8, 2014
- Cycling Routes in Amsterdam August 7, 2014
- Visiting Traditional Holland from Amsterdam July 31, 2014
- Sasha Heseltine: Thanks - great place isn't it?...
- Brendan Walsh: Ms Heseltine, you make me want to so go back again...
- Verlie Goodenberger: what's up! I just want to give a huge thumbs up fo...
- Amish Shed: Appreciate it for this post, I am a big big fan of...
- Shahbaz Ahmed: Nice goooooooooooood...
Amsterdam Things to Do Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.