I’ve pretty well run the gamut of places to stay in Amsterdam. From five star hotels when visiting the city for a conference to a squat by the railway line when self-funding a trip, also in many different style apartments borrowed from friends and friends of friends. So here are my ideas of where to stay in the wonderful city of Amsterdam:
1. Hotel Pulitzer. This was the ultimate Amsterdam experience. In the center of the city on the Prinsengracht canal, the hotel is a series of houses converted and joined. The rooms are all different and full of character, mine was so rambling it had a doorbell! This is where Clooney stayed in Oceans Twelve.
2. Conservatorium Hotel. The latest gorgeous high end hotel in an historic building right near the Van Gogh Museum and in the expensive shopping streets PC Hoofstraat.
3. Seven Bridges Hotel. In a 300 year old canal house full of antiques. Some rooms have canal views of the central Keizersgracht or Reguliersgracht canals.
4. Hotel V. Stylish and groovy. Not right in the city center but well served by trams and not too far from the eclectic De Pijp district and the main museums. Great for getting to know Amsterdam rather than just the tourist trails.
5. Flying Pig Uptown Hostel. The other end of the affordability spectrum, this is a true party place to stay, with a great location near the Vondelpark, and the Museumplein. Not for those wanting a quiet night in.
One place I’ve never stayed is in a windmill, though I did go to a party in one once. And I’ve not stayed on a houseboat. That’s my next aim.