While most visitors in Italy have heard of Pompeii, the ancient Roman city so famously buried by Mount Vesuvius, far fewer know about a contemporary city that was buried at the same time and is better preserved than its better-known neighbor. Herculaneum isn’t far from Pompeii, but visiting this excavated site is a completely different experience.
Many visitors to the northern Italian city of Verona are prepared for the grandeur of its impressive Roman arena. The arena is the focal point of the historic city center, and the venue for the city’s popular summer opera festival. But Verona has another Roman performance venue worth visiting – a Roman theater with an archaeological museum next to it.
Pompeii is one of Italy’s most popular attractions, and it’s usually at the top of the list for day trips from Naples. If you’d rather stay in Sorrento than Naples and you still want to spend a day exploring Pompeii, however, you’ll be pleased to know it’s very easy to visit Pompeii from Sorrento, too.
On your Italy travels, you will no doubt visit countless Roman ruins, taking guided tours through arenas and theaters and other buildings but not having any real sense of what it was like to use that building for its original purpose. In Verona, however, you can get a little taste of what it was like to use the city’s Roman Arena by going to the Verona Opera Festival.
Verona is best known as the setting of “Romeo and Juliet” and for its impressive Roman arena. There are also plenty of churches in the city, many of which are notable and well worth visiting. Here are some of the major churches in Verona that you can consider adding to your itinerary.
- Naples August 4, 2011
- Places to Visit in Liguria April 25, 2013
- How to Spend One Week in Southern Italy July 11, 2013
- Salerno: Forgotten Amalfi Coast Neighbor July 18, 2013
- Towns to Visit Around Lake Como July 25, 2013
- Herculaneum: The Smaller Version of Pompeii August 28, 2014
- Verona’s Roman Theater & Archaeological Museum August 14, 2014
- Pompeii Day Trip from Sorrento July 31, 2014
- Save 10 Percent in Italy July 22, 2014
- Verona Summer Opera Festival July 17, 2014
- David Decker: Hi Jessica, Thank you for your helpful site. I...
- Alden Gregorski: Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Taking the t...
Italy Things to Do Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.