With wide avenues, large parks, sweeping vistas and fine Victorian architecture in the city; and glorious beaches, forested hills and wineries just a short drive away, Melbourne is the perfect place to cozy up with a loved one.
In the city there are plenty of romantic dining options, from restaurants with a view to a leisurely dinner cruise on water. Our favorite romantic eating spots are:
• Colonial tramcar restaurant: See the sights as you dine in an intimate, refurbished colonial tramcar.
• Fine dining with a view: For a real splurge try Melbourne’s most talked about restaurant Vue De Monde at the Rialto Tower. Other great options include No.35; Taxi; Eureka 89; Pure South and World Restaurant and Bar.
• River Cruise: Leave the city lights behind you and steal an after dinner kiss on the top deck of Melbourne’s cruising restaurant.
You don’t have to share a meal to be romantic. Some more imaginative options include:
• Rowing a boat down the Yarra River: Hire a two-seater from Studley Park or Fairfield Boathouse and experience a more sedate, greener side of the city.
In the Country
Escape the city. Melbourne’s countryside is never more than an hour’s drive away and has a wealth of options to choose from.
• Overnighter down the beach: Drive your loved one down the Great Ocean Road and wake to the sounds of crashing waves in the seaside towns of Lorne, Wye River and Apollo Bay.
• Head for the hills: Choose from the Swiss, English and German influenced cottage charm of the Dandenongs; the glorious lavender fields, massages and hot springs in Daylesford; the vineyards and farmers markets of the Yarra Valley; the beaches and vineyards of the Mornington Peninsula or the rugged mountains and open fires in the Grampians? The choice is yours…