This is a particularly family-focused time in Portugal with a big meal on Christmas Eve, gifts exchanging, then on to Midnight Mass. On Christmas Eve the generations of the family gather together in front of the nativity scene, the presepio, to celebrate the birth of Jesus. A traditional supper might consist of boiled bacalhua (salt cod), with boiled potatoes and cabbage. There’s also arroz doce (rice pudding), rabanadas (similar to French toast), filhoses (fried dessert) and broas de mel (honey cakes).
Tag Archives: lisbon cathedral
- Traditions to Try in Portugal February 10, 2012
- Year-Round Sunshine in Madeira November 8, 2011
- Where to Celebrate New Year’s Eve in Portugal December 5, 2012
- Getting Around Lisbon August 3, 2011
- Lisbon’s Elevator Club Santa Justa January 4, 2012
- What Not to Do in Porto May 7, 2013
- Tomar and the Knights Templar April 30, 2013
- Museum of Azulejo April 23, 2013
- The Ancient City of Braga in Portugal April 23, 2013
- Free Things to Do in Porto April 9, 2013
- Vecino Maximiliano Gabriel Adami: My name is Vecino Maximiliano Gabriel Adami , I ju...
- Lance Santoni: I am consequently happy by myself found out the fo...
- Lisa Snow: Amazing post in your site. Thank for this showing ...
- Viator: Several sources say it was nuns who invented it du...
- Paulo: The recipe comes from the Monastery of Jeronimos, ...
art in Portugal Basilica of Fatima boats day trips Duoro Valley evora Fado Fatima Funchal Funchal things to do Guimarães Holy Place Islands of Portugal lake alqueva lisbon Lisbon attractions Lisbon for families Lisbon sights lisbon things to do madeira National Parks Porto Porto and Northern Portugal Porto fado Porto things to do Portugal Portugal attractions Portugal castles Portugal day trips Portugal eating and drinking Portugal festivals and events portugal history Portugal holidays portugal lakes Portugal music Portugal things to do Portugal towns and villages Portugal travel tips Portugal wine portuguese islands Religious Experience Ria Formosa The Algarve wine wineries